Thursday, December 16, 2004

Liar, Liar pants on fire

Have you ever wondered how you can tell when one is lying to you? You can see it by ones eyes. Yes, you truly can. If someone is lying, their eyes hold a certain position. I think the position is that they look to the top left corner of the eyes. But I don’t know for sure anymore. Maybe someone can let me know?
Anyhow, I was waiting for my train on a bench on the platform, when a woman came up to me and asked if I knew which exit she would have to take to go to the police station. And I didn’t know. But, I didn’t want to say that flat to her face. So, I began thinking, and my eyes went to the (low) right corner. I thought a few moments and told her I didn’t know, and she went on her way, thanking me anyways for the trouble.
That made me thinking. I can lie my ass of and you would be convinced I was telling the truth. I don’t sweat on the moment, and I won’t make a nervous impression. I have done it a couple times before: lying to a teacher about homework I didn’t do but convincing him I just forgot to take my homework with me; telling my father that it was all just a misunderstanding when in fact I did ignore him for half a week or so. I don’t lie often, or better, I don’t often lie that big, cause I am still convinced that telling the truth is the easiest and right thing to do, but when in need, I can do it. And that makes me perfect for this society, since research has shown that people who can lie convincingly, are socially better integrated, have more friends, and better jobs. Their social status is higher than those who can’t lie. It’s just a sad truth when you think about it. Lie and you will succeed in life!
But then again, what would be the outcome if people stopped lying? Imagine going to work and telling everyone at work how you really feel about him or her. All those times when you lied your ass off to convince them you did like them, very much even so. Yeah, sometimes you can better lie, than tell the truth. You don’t want to tell your friend that that hairdo sucks by life, or that the dress which she totally loves wasn’t worn since prehistory. And you certainly may not tell him that he really has to go the hairdresser or his girlfriend just doesn’t suit him. You may not tell him that. So lie, and save your job, your friendships, and your social life. Lie and still have the possibility to manipulate, and use people. Lie and be happy!
Right, happy, isn’t that just a relative concept?

No comments: